Friday, March 21, 2014

DIY- Home Decor

Today am totally excited to post about what I did on my own. I wonder if this qualifies me to be a guest blogger on La Maison Chic

There was a lot to learn and hanging out with totally awesome people. Am telling you these women are wise entrepreneurs and  I want me some dose of that.



So yeah I was doing flower arrangements for the house.

These are things you would see on television on a series or a movie, but I did it after being challenged by Jasmine of cooking with Jaz. So she bought a bouquet of pink roses for only 200Kshs. (T.I.A * This is Africa*  yeah we get flowers for like 3 dollars :-). She then asked me to arrange them, am a lazy artsy chic, there are things that I can do but I do not do simply because am lazy about it. But now since I was home early and the flowers were there, it did not make sense to say '' just put them in a Vase and am sure they'll look good. ''



I didn't, instead I went all out on doing these beautiful flowers. I've never really been a flowers person but it seems to have grown on me. I like flowers but I wouldn't go out of my way to deal with them so this is a fast for me. The other thing is Roses, beautiful as they may be, have thorns... ouch. So I guess it's the same thing with somethings in life. But I usually want to get the roses without necessarily  dealing with the thorns. As in who wouldn't want it  easy.
The struggle is real... thorns are real



But hard as it was to deal with the thorns, I had the determination of Akoko and Lupita. Nothing was going to stop me. My dreams, were valid and have always been, but the worst is when you kill your dreams because of laziness or because you want it easy. The other thing am learning is thorns did not stop the flowers from blooming. Things do get hard in life, don't quit, just because its hard...














So I had that whole bunch of flowers and no fancy vases since the one fancy vase we have has a bunch of dried flowers already. My life has always been like that, I want something, but it's not exactly what I want or it's taken or everyone is doing it, or it's too expensive and many other excuses as to why I cannot get it.
with life work with what you have....

For Vases, we used the mason jars that we got from a friends wedding....
Beauty is usually a process...

The thing with me is I like fast things. I want my prayers answered instantly, when I ask someone to do something, I want to see them act on it immediately and all. It's something I get from my Dad, and him being in the military. Much as that is what I want, I never like it when people expect an instant result from me... yeah simply me. But yeah,  am learning that God is not into instant. He's also into humble beginnings. Humble beginnings sounds so sweet,  right, but ask anyone who's at that beginning point. It's not that sweet, but a lot is learnt at the beginning. Character is developed in the humility of beginning...  

James 1:4
and Let endurance have it's perfect result,
so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

I was hanging out with a famous baker and actress. She does awesome cakes. She told me that it started as a hobby and passion drove her to who she is now. We had an awesome time together with Lasagna prepared by Jaz and cake by Heavenly delights. I did the flowers and yeah the rest the pictures will speak for themselves.
Cut the flowers to match the size of your vase
Or Cut it to match what you want to achieve..

Careful with the thorns....
Cut the edge in a diagonal  manner to enable easy absorption of water 



Tools of trade, flowers, vase, salty water and a pair of scissors
The complete work....

Then we had Lasagna, for dinner and you can get the recipe from Cooking with Jaz


Then we had a chocolate orange and yeah yummy cake from Heavenly delights


In life am learning that I decide, what I get to deal with, I want the good things that this life has to offer and am willing to do what it takes. It's not going to be easy I know, but seriously something has to give and I will give it my all. It's day 79 and am going all out!! World watch out am coming :-)...

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, making me hungry and happy at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete